There are “n” number of sources which explains Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS ) and Insulin resistance, but very few explain their relationship. Same time it is hard to find the role of AGEs in Polycystic ovary syndrome ( PCOS ) and Insulin resistance.
After going through this blog you can plan your healthy diet without the help of any experts. We all know that no one is perfect or expert, still we keep on searching for these experts to plan our diet and exercises ending up paying them huge amount for this.
What are Advanced Glycation End products?
It is very simple to understand. Glycation is the reaction between reducing sugars, such as glucose, and proteins, lipids (fat) or nucleic acids without enzymes and produces AGEs.
Glycation process results in two different products- Early and Advanced glycation end products (AGEs).
You must have heard about HbA1c i.e. Glycated Hemoglobin. Nowadays, HbA1c is a confirmatory test for Diabetes. HbA1c is an Early Glycation End product and it is a precursor of AGEs. AGEs triggers the intracellular oxidative stress and inflammation.
AGEs in Polycystic ovary syndrome- PCOS and Diabetes condition:
- There are two sources of AGEs to get into our blood- Endogenous and Exogenous.
- Endogenous AGEs formed in our body. In Diabetes, excess sugar reacts with amino acids and forms AGEs which affect the structure and function of amino acids, ultimately affects protein function. Recent findings suggest that, AGEs are responsible for Diabetes and related complications.
- Insulin resistance (IR) is one of the reasons of development of Polycystic ovary syndrome ( PCOS ) in obese and non-obese women. During insulin resistance, excess sugar reacts with amino acids and AGEs number increases. These AGEs exhibit harmful effects on ovary function. (1)
- About 10% of AGEs are absorbed by our body cells and about 66% AGEs get deposited in tissues and freely circulate in our blood where they remain active and exert pathological effects.
- Unhealthy cooking (overheating; frying, grilling, preservation and storing), is responsible for production of exogenous AGEs. As foods contain variety of sugars and amine groups (amino acid sources) complex and number of AGEs are formed during processing it as compared to AGEs formed endogenously.
- 5,000-8,000 kilo units/day AGE consumption is recommended. Consumption of more than 10-15,000 kilo units/day leads to obesity and/or have diabetes and other health problems.
Tips to control your AGEs:
You can reduce your AGEs by controlling the Endogenous AGEs and Exogenous AGEs. There are so many ways to reduce AGEs levels in the Blood and Food.
Controlling the Endogenous AGEs:
- Recent findings report that Phytate,IP6 (natural compound present in seeds e.g. cereals, legumes, and nuts), acts as inhibitor of protein glycation. In addition, IP6 stop the formation of renal, dental, and cardiovascular calcification, and protects against osteoporosis. Moreover, IP6 may also provide protection against cancer and Parkinson’s disease.
- Legumes and whole grains are rich in IP6. So, eating a variety of whole-grain foods and legumes can reduce the AGEs formation in body. (2)
- Increase Physical Activities:Excretion is one of the ways to remove AGEs from our body. Primary excretion is done by our kidneys. Though sweating is for maintaining body temperature and release of hormones, it has role in excretion too.
- Increased physical activities means increased sweating; it may help to reduce deposited and circulating AGEs.
Controlling Exogenous AGEs:
Change your Cooking Style.
- This is the most effective way to control AGEs formation in food. As we discussed above, moisture less, high heat cooking increases the AGEs production in any kind of food, try boiling, stewing, poaching and steaming.
- It is already reported that cooking food at low heat, short time, and in moist condition decreases the dAGE (Dietary AGEs) production. (3)
- Avoid highly processed foods.
Choose low AGE foods:
- Try to prepare your own food at home. Recent findings suggest that homemade foods have low AGEs than foods available in market.
- Increase uptake of whole grains, cereals, legumes as it contains anti-oxidants and phytate which reduces the AGEs production. Recent findings suggest that increase in cereals and legumes in everyday diet can decrease the AGEs.
- Also it is known that Animal foods i.e. Red meat have highest AGEs. Similarly Fried egg, cooking oils, butter have higher AGEs.
It is the right time to take control on your body’s normal functioning before chronic diseases take it.
Increase amount Pulses and Cereals in your regular diet.
Fast food is always harmful for your body, try avoiding it.
Fried, toasted, grilled, roasted food contains higher amount of AGEs, eat boiled, stewed, poached and steamed food.